Austria Visas

Austria is one of the most popular destinations in Europe. With its beautiful scenery, culture, preeminent economy, it is not surprising that it attracts millions of tourists each year as well as new workers and residents.

Non-EU nationals are required to present a travel ID document (passport) and a visa, if applicable when arriving at the Austrian border.

What is Visa for Austria?

All non-EU citizens that are going to Austria on a temporary or permanent basis, are required to apply for a visa. The required Austria Visa will depend on nationality and reason.

  • Austrian Airport Visa – for those in transit through Austria traveling outside the Schengen Area
  • Austria Transit Visa – for those in transit by land or sea through Austria
  • Austrian Tourist Visa – for those coming to Austria for tourism and holidays. Depending on nationality you will need to apply for a Schengen Visa or ETIAS Visa Waiver
  • Austrian Visitor Visa – for those visiting friends or family members residing in Austria.
  • Austrian Business Visa – for those traveling to Austria for business reasons, to attend meetings, or symposiums
  • Austrian Visa for Official Visit – for Official Delegations on official trips
  • Austrian Medical Visa – for those seeking medical treatment
  • Austrian Study Visa –for those that wish to study in Austria
  • Austria Work Visa – for those who want to work in Austria
  • Austrian Visa for Cultural, Sports and Film Crews – for those wanting to attend an activity in Austria that belongs this nature
  • Austria Residence Visa (Red-White-Red Card) – for those who intend to stay in Austria for an extended period

Visa for tourist

Third-country nationals traveling to Austria on a temporary basis must apply for an entry permit visa, depending on nationality, either an ETIAS Visa Waiver or a Schengen Visa.

All those planning to go to Austria for touristic purposes, business, medical reasons, in transit, to visit friends or family, must request the appropriate entry permit. All temporary entry permit holders may not stay in Austria longer than three months (in most cases), and are not authorized to work.

Those who wish to extend their tourist visa for Austria, must apply for a Austrian National Visa D, and may remain in Austria another three months (90 days.)

Residence permit to live in Austria

Third-country nationals who want to stay in Austria for more than six months must apply for a residence permit. Those planning to move to Austria for an indefinite period, to work, study, take up a one-year-job as an au-pair, work as a researcher, or being transferred to their company’s office in Austria, will need a long-term visa, or residence-permit.

Qualified workers and third-country nationals seeking to live and work in Austria will need the Red-White-Red Card.
The Red-White-Red Card is valid for two years and allows its holder to reside and work for the employer specified in the application.

Applicants must belong to one of the following to qualify for criteria-based immigration to Austria:

  • Very Highly Qualified Workers
  • Skilled Workers in Shortage Occupations
  • Other Key Workers
  • Graduates of Austrian Universities and Colleges of Higher Education
  • Self-employed Key Workers
  • Start-up Founders

Permission to work in Austria

Non-Eu citizens are required to apply for a restricted work permit, valid for one year to work in Austria. A restricted work permit allows the applicant to work for a specific job and employer. If at any time during the visa’s validity the employment changes, then the applicant is required to apply for a new restricted work permit.

Working permit applications may vary depending on the country of origin. Usually the process can take up to seven weeks.

Non-EU citizens may apply for three different forms of work permits in Austria.

  • Restricted work permit or Beschäftigungsbewilligung
  • Work permit or Arbeitserlaubnis
  • Unrestricted work permit or Befreiungsschein

Once a restricted work permit expires, applicants may renew it or apply for a work permit, valid for two years, which allows its holder to change employers without the need to apply for a new restricted work permit. After five years of working in Austria, third-country nationals may apply for an unrestricted work permit.

permissions to enter in austria

Who needs an entry Visa for Austria?

All EEA citizens and Swiss citizens, can travel to Austria under the visa-free regime. Third-country nationals are required to apply for a visa to travel or live in Austria. The visa depends on nationality and purpose.

For stays up to three months, third-country nationals will need to apply for an ETIAS Austria or a Schengen Visa depending on nationality. For stays up to six months, they can apply for a Austrian National Visa D to extend their corresponding tourist visas.

All Austria Visa applicants are required to have an interview at an Austrian Embassy or Consulate to complete the visa application process. Each applicant (including children and infants) will need to bring the necessary documents including the application form, and travel document, and attend a quick interview about their travel plans.

Austria Travel information

To travel to Austria, all non-eu citizens are required to apply for a visa. Depending on nationality, they may apply for an ETIAS visa waiver or Schengen Visa.

With its breathtaking landscape, history, traditions, innovative cuisine, and artistic scene. Set in the heart of Europe, the Republic of Austria, is home to 9 million people.

Austria is one of the most popular travel destinations in Europe, and one of the richest countries in the world in GDP terms. Austria lies within the Alps, making it highly mountainous.

To apply for a tourist visa for Austria, applicants are required to meet certain eligibility requirements, complete an application form, pay the processing fees, and depending on nationality, attend a meeting at the Austrian Embassy in their home country.

Austria has a long and impressive history, many tourist attractions, and something for every person. The cities are modern and developed, with a high-income economy; perfect for international students looking for a metropolitan experience.

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here, to know more. I agree