Residence Permit in Austria

Residence permit for education

Located in Central Europe, Austria is a beautiful country, that offers quality higher education. Austria serves as the perfect backdrop for all international students, with its rich history, and well-developed social, economic society. Austria’s academic excellence is recognized worldwide, having many of their universities rank in international university rankings.

Students who wish to stay in Austria for less than 180 days, need to apply for an Austrian National Visa D. For stays longer than six months, students will need to apply for a student residence permit. A residence permit is intended for international students who have been admitted to study at a higher education institution in Austria. It is valid for 12 months, and it may be extended in Austria

International students meet the general requirements if they have an A-level or high school diploma, a letter of acceptance from an Austrian university or educational institute, and sufficient knowledge in German should the course be in German.

Applications must be made at the Austrian embassy in the applicants country of origin, and unless they have an Austrian Visa D. In these cases, they may apply for an education residence permit in Austria.

Holders of a Student Residence Permit can obtain a work permit which will allow them to work for up to 20 hours/week. They also can apply for permanent residence, or a work permit once they have completed their studies.

Bring your family to Austria

Third-country family members of Austrian and EU citizens may be sponsored for a residence visa. Family members of non-EU citizens who have a residence permit may also be sponsored as long as they meet the general requirements set by the Integration Agreement.

The Integration Agreement was created to help foreign family members to learn German, as well as to acquire knowledge of the democratic system and the fundamental principles of Austria. The Integration Agreement is comprised of two modules, and for some residence permit applicants, the first one is mandatory before arrival in Austria.

All family members being sponsored under one the applying to one of the following residence titles must complete the first module of the Integration Agreement:

  • Red-White-Red Card plus
  • Family Member
  • Settlement Permit – Dependant
  • Settlement Permit
  • Settlement Permit – Gainful employment excepted

Family members applying for a Long-term Resident visa must have completed Module 2 of the Integration Agreement before filling the application.

Residence visa holders may apply on behalf of their spouses, or registered partners, and minor children.

Family members of students holding a Student Residence Permit Student are eligible to apply for a Family Residence Permit.

Residence permit for executives

Austria has created the Intra-Transfer-Company (ICT) programme aimed at managers, specialists, and trainees, who work in a third-country company with an office in Austria.

The ICT card is both a residence permit and a work permit and is issued to third-country citizens who are assigned to an Austrian office for a period exceeding 90 days up to 12 months (three years for managers.)

Family members of ICT cardholders may also apply for a residence permit for ICT dependents.

Foreign citizens applying for a residence permit ICT may do so in Austria. They are required to provide documentation that proves they are being transferred and that they meet the general criteria:

  • Trainees must have worked a minimum of six months in the third-country company
  • Managers and specialists must have worked a minimum of nine months in the third-country company
  • Applicants are allowed to start work in Austria 20 days after applying

Who needs a Residence permit?

All third-country nationals are required to obtain a residence permit. Austria considers thir-country nationals those who are not EEA citizens or Swiss citizens.

  • The following individuals require a residence permit.
  • Third-country nationals who want to stay in Austria for more than 180 days
  • Third-country nationals who hold an ICT residence permit issued by another member state and are staying or want to stay in Austria

Citizens of the following countries do not require a residence permit to live in Austria:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

How to get a Residence permit?

Austria offers different types of residence permits for both the applicants and their families. Residence permits are always granted for a specific purpose, either to work or to study. To apply for a residence permit, applicants must first determine the type of visa they require, whether an Austrian National Visa D (for stays up to six months), a student visa, researcher visa, or a work visa. Within these categories, there are several types of residence visas, for fixed employment, or temporary settlement.

A residence permit is usually issued by the Austrian embassy in the applicant’s country of origin. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule, like Visa D holders, family members of Austrian, EEA, and Swiss citizens, and non-EU citizens applying for a research permit.

Requirements to apply

Depending on nationality and on the type of visa, requirements to apply for a residence permit may differ. However, most documents overlap.

Applicants are required to provide the following to apply for a residence permit:

  • A valid and signed passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Recent passport-size picture
  • Proof of accommodation in Austria
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient financial means
  • Marriage certificate, divorce certificate, death certificate, a certificate giving evidence of relationship to another individual (if applicable)

A professional German translation or Apostille must accompany all documents in a foreign language. If the applicant is a minor, the application must be notarized and signed by both parents or legal guardians.

By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here, to know more. I agree