Tourist Visa

ETIAS Visa Waiver

Austria is one of the top tourist destinations in the world. Located in Central Europe, Austria shares its borders with the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. Travelers are required to have a tourist Visa to enter Austria.

The European Union has created the ETIAS Visa Waiver to increase security on its external borders, following the terrorist attacks of recent years, and the worst migrant crisis in its history.

Citizens from over 60 countries, must now apply for an ETIAS Visa Waiver to travel to Austria and the rest of the Schengen Area.

ETIAS is a multi-entry visa allows, that allows its holder to travel within the Schengen Area for a maximum period of 90 days and is valid for 5 years.

Schengen Visa

The short-term Schengen visa allows its holder to travel within the 26 countries that are part of the Schengen area. There are two types of Schengen Visa:

  • Short-term stay – which allows its holder to travel within the schengen Area for a maximum stay of 90 days in any 180 days period
  • Transit visa (Schengen visa A) – which allows its holder to transit through any of the international airports within the the Schengen States (“airport transit visa”)

Applicants are required to complete a form, gather supporting documentation, attend an interview at an Embassy, and pay the processing fees. Duration of stay and validity of the Schengen Visa will be determined by the Embassy.

Airport Transit Visa (Visa A)

The Airport Transit Visa A is issued to travelers in transit through the international zone of a Schengen Country Airport. It allows its holder to arrive at a Schengen State international airport and catch a flight to their destination country out of the Schengen Area.

Citizens from the following countries must apply for an Airport Transit Visa A:

  • Afghanistan
  • Bangladesh
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Ghana
  • India
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Jordan

To apply for an Airport Transit Visa A, travelers must provide a copy of the visa for the final destination, if applicable.

Travel Visa (Visa C)

The Travel Visa C or Schengen Visa C, is a short-term visa which allows its holder to reside in a Schengen Area for a certain period of time depending on the visa validity.

The single-entry visa allows its holder to enter the Schengen Area only once, which means that once the applicant exists the Schengen Area they are required to request a new visa to enter. The same happens with the double-entry Travel Visa C, which allows its holder to enter the Schengen Area twice, but will expire once its holder leaves the Schengen Zone for the second time.

However, all travelers who have obtained a double-entry visa more than once, and are frequent travelers to the Schengen zone, may apply for a multi-entry Travel Visa C.

The multiple-entry Travel Visa C allows its holder to enter the schengen zone multiple times, and is usually issued to those who frequently travel to Europe. A Travel Visa C allows is holder to stay in the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days. A multi-entry Travel Visa C can be issued with a validity of one, three or five years.

To obtain a multi-entry Travel Visa C, applicants are required to provide proof that they are regular visitors of the Schengen Area, or one the Schengen Area member-states, and why they will need the visa in the future.

Austrian National Visa (Visa D)

The Austrian National visa D, is issued to those who will be staying for a determined period of time in Austria, and for a determined reason, for example, to work or study. To be eligible for an Austrian National Visa D, applicants in one of the Schengen countries.

An Austrian National Visa D, will be granted to applicants that meet the following criteria:

  • Are international students about to start a course in Austria
  • Are a research worker at a higher institution or research center in Austria
  • Are a professional sportsman, an artist or any other professional of its kind with the purpose of sharing his/her expertise
  • In case of an emergency or medical condition that prevents the individual to leave Austria within a determined period of time.

Frequently Asked Questions about Tourist Visa

In this section you will find further information to help you understand the different kinds of tourist visas.

The ETIAS travel authorization and the Schengen Visa are both short-term tourist visas, that allow their holders to remain for a maximum of 90 days, within a 180 day period, in the Schengen Area.

The ETIAS visa waiver can be requested online by completing a simple form and is issued almost immediately. The Schengen visa requires applicants to complete a form and attend a meeting at their local embassy before receiving the visa on their passport. Depending on nationality, you will have to apply for one or the other.

For short-term stays in Austria you will need a tourist visa. There are three types of tourist visa for Austria:

Each Visa has different eligibility requirements, like nationality and reason for traveling. Travel requirements to enter Austria for short term stays will differ depending on a person’s nationality. Third-country nationals are required to obtain a visa for tourism and business purposes to enter Austria for short-term stays.

Citizens from non-visa exempt countries must apply for a Schengen visa at an embassy or consulate and provide additional documentation to demonstrate the purpose of their trip.

All foreign nationals who want to stay in Austria for more than six months must apply for a residence permit. For long-term stays in Austria you will need either a student visa, a work visa, or a residence permit, depending on your reason for staying.

Documents and requirements needed to apply for a long-term visa depend on nationality.


By using our website you accept our Cookies Policy. Click here, to know more. I agree